- You will finally be able to play Stadia on Android TV devices and the new Chromecast with Google TV.
- The rollout of support for Google’s game streaming service begins June 23, 2021.
- Google has an official list of supported devices, but devices not on that list will be able to opt-in for an “experimental” option.
When Google Stadia first launched, it only worked on televisions connected to a Google Chromecast Ultra. This was a huge roadblock as a lot of people out there who might have been interested in giving Stadia a try didn’t want to invest in a bunch of new hardware.
At the time, Google promised support for Stadia on Android TV, which would open up the platform to millions of televisions people already own. However, the company didn’t give any firm timeline for when that would happen.
That changes today! Google has officially confirmed that Stadia will work on Android TV streaming boxes, smart televisions, and other supported systems starting June 23, 2021. This also includes the recent Chromecast with Google TV streamer.
Also, do note that Stadia supports other Bluetooth controllers rather than just the official Stadia-branded one. That means there are folks out there who might already have all the hardware they need to try out Stadia on Android TV.
Stadia on Android TV: What’s supported?
Google was nice enough to give a concrete list of supported devices. Here it is:
- Chromecast with Google TV
- Hisense Android Smart TVs (U7G, U8G, U9G)
- Nvidia Shield TV
- Nvidia Shield TV Pro
- Walmart Onn FHD Streaming Stick and UHD Streaming Device
- Philips 8215, 8505, and OLED 935/805 Series Android TVs
- Xiaomi Mi Box 3 and Mi Box 4
Now, if you want support for Stadia on Android TV for a device that isn’t on that list, don’t worry. In those situations, you can try out “experimental” support for Stadia on your system. You just might face a few issues getting it working correctly.
To get started, install the Stadia app from the Play Store on your TV or streaming box. Launch the app from the My Apps row on your TV, and press “Continue” at the opt-in screen. That’s it! You should be ready to play.