- Today, OnePlus revealed that the OnePlus 6 and OnePlus 6T now have Android 11 access.
- However, to get the update you’ll need to join the open beta, as there’s no stable release.
- Taking into account OnePlus’ usual beta timelines, the OnePlus 6 series likely won’t see a stable launch of Android 11 until late Q3 or even Q4 2021.
The OnePlus 6 and OnePlus 6T were the company’s big flagship launches in 2018. The OnePlus 6 launched with Android 8.1 Oreo while the OnePlus 6T launched with Android 9 Pie out of the box, making it the first non-Pixel device to do so.
OnePlus promised that both would get updates through Android 11. However, both phones have been stuck on Android 10. Today, though, it is finally possible for OnePlus 6 and OnePlus 6T users to get Android 11.
Unfortunately, you’ll need to be OK with using beta software for that to work. Beta software won’t be stable and it’s inevitable you’ll face bugs and other issues during your day-to-day use. Thankfully, it’s pretty easy to jump to the beta channel, as it doesn’t even require a factory reset. Be warned, though, that jumping back to the stable channel would require a reset.
Usually, OnePlus’ beta programs last for at least a month or two before we see a stable launch. Judging from Google’s Android 12 schedule, it’s almost certain we would see Android 12 launch in a stable form before the OnePlus 6 and 6T Android 11 stable rollout begins. That’s gonna sting.
As one would expect, the Android 11 beta launch includes all the usual features as well as some tweaks unique to OnePlus phones. Check out the full changelog below.
OnePlus 6 and OnePlus 6T Android 11 beta:
- Updated to OxygenOS 11 version
- Fresh new UI visual design brings you a more comfortable experience with various optimizations of details
- Since this is a big Android update with multiple new features, the upgrade process might be a little longer, please be more patient.
- Game Space
- Newly added gaming tools box for convenient switches of Fnatic mode. You can now choose three ways of notifications: text-only, heads up, and block, just for your immersive gaming experience
- Newly added quick reply feature in a small window for Instagram, WhatsApp, and Telegram (Enable it by swiping down from upper right/left corners of the screen in gaming mode)
- Newly added mistouch prevention feature. Enable it, swipe down from the top of the screen, click and the notification bar will pop out
- Updated the camera UI and optimized some of the function paths to offer a more convenient operation
- Ambient Display
- Newly added Insight clock style, a joint creation with Parsons School of Design. It will change according to the phone usage data (To set: Settings > Customization > Clock on ambient display)
- Newly added Canvas feature that can automatically draw a wireframe picture based on a lock screen photo on your phone（Path: Settings – Customization – Wallpaper – Canvas – Choose photo preview and it can be generated automatically）
- Dark Mode
- Added a shortcut for Dark Mode, you can pull down the Quick Settings panel and find it
- Supported automatically enable by time range (path: Settings – Display – Dark Mode – Turn on automatically – Automatically enable from sunset to sunrise / Custom time range)
- Newly shelf interface design, the interface is clearer
- Added weather widget, animation effect smarter